For most of us, when our blood glucose shoots up after a large meal, our body can manage it to normal in a few hours with out any hard problem. But people with diabetes have blood glucose levels that stay high most of the time. Even the people those are healthy, high glucose levels after a heavy meal can damage the body , even it never causes diabetes.
Is there any simple component that can be added to the meal that could keep the blood glucose to be raising too high. Yes, it is, acetic acid, the sour tasting substance in vinegar. Studies showed that people who had a heavy packed meal, seems their blood sugar level raised up in an hour. But the same people after having the same meal with a tablespoon of apple vinegar, showed only a 50% cut in blood glucose levels. Same results showed after having vinegar with a chicken and rice meal.
The actual secret is yet to be find out. The researchers know that the vinegar interferes with the enzymes that break apart the chemical bonds in starches and the kinds of sugars found in sugar and milk. So it takes longer time for the body to break down those into blood glucose. Another version is vinegar keeps food in the stomach longer which prevents quick digestion. This may also speed the rate at which glucose is moved out of the bloodstream and into the muscle cells for storage.
Any way the effect is fantastic and we can easily add vinegar to salads and other food, which can be taken with heavy meals. Lemon juice also gives you good control over blood glucose levels.
Tips to lower your blood sugar levels
- Cook with wine. It's acidic and gives tasty tang to soups, sauces and roasts.
- Eat citrus fruits such as oranges and sweet lime.
- Add lime juice to fish, melon and sweet potatoes.
- Drinking wine in moderation, a small glass a day for women and up to two glasses for men. This can help keep blood insulin levels low and is linked with a lowered risk of developing diabetes.
- Use mustard, which is made with vinegar, in place of mayonnaise on sandwiches.
- Eat a cucumber pickle with your sandwich which is marinated in vinegar.
- Bake sourdough bread. As the dough ferments, it releases lactic acid. Lactic acid like vinegar has effects too.
- Squeeze lemon juice over fish and sea food.
- Have pickled carrots, celery, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower florets, capsicums made at home.
- Pickle liquid makes an excellent marinade, especially when mixed with a little olive oil.
Recipe of veg pickles for diabetics
Place a cup of white vinegar, 4 cups of water, some cloves of garlic, one spoon mustard seeds, some carrots, cut in to small pieces, some mushrooms(whole), salt and pepper as needed, in a large vessel and boil. Once reached boiling point cook for 3-4 minutes. Cool and place it in an airtight bottle. Place it in refrigerator. Have this with egg plant(brinjal), cauliflower, asparagus and green beans.